Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Feel Yourself Like a King

I don’t know why but when Czechs make grammatical mistakes in English they very often come out sounding sexual. Here’s an example, an ad in the newspaper for a brothel a few years back read Come to our whorehouse “…where you can feel yourself like a king.” OK – brothels, when they advertise tend to want to sound sexual, I know… But like that? I mean… I can do that at home and for free, right? I don’t need no stinking cathouse for that – and this is not an inexpensive establishment (not that I’d know anything about the prices of such services, of course.)

Another case is just the other day… The one woman on my team at work, a young and quite pretty one at that wrote to me asking, “Can I please you for a day off on Friday?” Is it just me or does that sound like a nice offer and a really good deal?

They call used clothing stores here “Second Hand” stores – in English just like that. Well… There used to be a place called Stroker’s Second Hand. Again… Is it just me being an arrested adolescent?

I’ll try to keep find some others. I used to come across them frequently but maybe I’m getting immune to accidental innuendo? Naaa…..

No comments:

Post a Comment